Tapping into Your Creative PR Process

I just spent the last two days with Amanda Miller Littlejohn.  Amanda is founder of Mopwater PR and a PR professional and blogger based in Washington DC.  Our two days were filled with great conversations, laughs (lots of them, as you will see from the video) and many creative ideas.  I was inspired by the conversation and wanted to share an interview with Amanda that discusses how to tap into your creative PR process.  Please feel free to share how you find ways to tap your creative PR.

Bookmark and Share

This Post Has 10 Comments

1. Yanique says:

Great post/interview by two of my favorite PR pros! (Although the breakout star here was the dog :)

I just started my professional PR career and I’m trying to find a way to balance out the work, and maintaining a creative mindset for clients. I had my first “professional” brain-storming session, and we are just alike, you can’t help but feed off of creative people. The energy and possibilities are unstoppable!

Great post guys! Thanks!

2. I agree, Yanique! Creativity is the key, but can easily get lost especially among newer professionals who are so caught up in doing everything “just right” to prove that they know what they’re doing. The truth is, your creative genius is uniquely yours alone, and no one can duplicate your unique process! So don’t stifle it and let it be contagious especially when you’re with your clients because it keeps them coming back!

-AML

3. I agree, Yanique! Creativity is the key, but can easily get lost especially among newer professionals who are so caught up in doing everything “just right” to prove that they know what they’re doing. The truth is, your creative genius is uniquely yours alone, and no one can duplicate your unique process! So don’t stifle it and let it be contagious especially when you’re with your clients because it keeps them coming back!

-AML
    @amandamogul

4. Deirdre says:

Hi Yanique … Thank you and glad you enjoyed the post! Brainstorming is such a great way to build on creativity and I always find synergy with other talented professionals. Sounds like your first brainstorming session went really well. Good luck and thanks again for sharing your experience :)

5. Jason Rosoff says:

This was a great video post! For me it was your positive energy/ vibe that really hooked me in. That’s an infectious quality that I believe promotes success with your business and peers.

As a young (not by age) PR professional I am still trying to find my groove and voice in this new world. My background is in the Performing Arts, so my creative flow is intact and ready to soar, but it is still adjusting to this new adventure. Which brings me back to keeping a positive energy about the work I am doing and the knowledge I am gaining daily. With that I am sure I will find my way. Thanks again.

6. Deirdre says:

Hi Jason! So happy you enjoyed the post. Amanda and I had so much fun spending time together and as you can see there was creative energy and a lot of good laughs. It takes a while to find your groove and voice but be true to your inner voice and let that guide you. I’m sure you will find your way as you meet interesting people and embark on new challenges. Good luck and I’d love to hear more as you move forward and find new ways to bring out your creative process. Thanks for sharing!

7. Megan says:

This video interview is great! You guys are so right – listening is key! A think so many times clients don’t feel they’re being heard by their PR rep, so how can you really provide a successful PR campaign without listening to what the client’s needs and wants are?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts – I definitely learned a lot from you this post!

8. Deirdre says:

Hi Megan :) Thank you and I agree. With all of the changes in technology and new ways to reach a client’s customers, it’s critical to listen to their needs and wants. This is the best approach to determining the most effective program strategies. I’m really happy that you enjoyed the post and learned a lot from it. Thanks for commenting!

9. This is a bit off topic, which I apologize for, but would you and your viewers mind voicing your thoughts about the recent oil spill, you’re opinion greatly helps and I can’t thank you enough for taking a few moments to give it. I left the URL in the appropriate field, thanks!

10. Deirdre says:

Hi Arleen, where do I start with the gulf oil spill? I think this is one of the greatest PR nightmares and there were so many flaws in the communication to the public, by all parties involved. Unfortunately, although BP is, at this point, moving toward final capping of the well, I believe it’s a little too late in the eyes of the public. And, the public relations work is far from over. I think that anyone in the Gulf region wants to know how BP is going to solve their longer term issues from loss of business and tourism to the damage from the oil and chemical dispersants. The BP disaster will continue to live on in years to come as a result of this long term damage. It will be difficult to rebuild the company’s reputation but starting out with information and transparent communication with the public about continuing efforts to help people in the region is a good start. BP has a long road ahead.