Questions About Social Media Monitoring & Measurement Platforms

There are a lot of great technology partners.  You need to roll up your sleeves and test several of these platforms to see which one meets the needs of your programs or the needs of different clients.  My video addresses a few of the questions that you should have in mind as you are selecting your monitoring and measurement technology partners.

A quick disclosure, the companies that I mention are the companies that I’m using for clients.  I mention them because they provide good platforms and good service not because they ask me to blog about them :)

Bookmark and Share

This Post Has 19 Comments

1. Jim Reynolds says:

Thank you for the Techrigy (Alterian) shout out and highlight many of the key questions people need to ask about platforms.

One additional suggestion I would add is to be sure to ask for a evaluation or trial before you buy.

Jim Reynolds
    Alterian
    @jimmyrey

2. Deirdre says:

Hey Jim! Yes, that is a really good suggestion. Having the trial first will really let you test the platform to see if it suits your needs. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts.

3. Deirdre,

Great post with important points to take into consideration. Thank you for the BurrellesLuce shout out! We are proud to serve as your partner.

Colleen Flood
    BurrellesLuce
    @cgflood

4. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Valerie Merahn Simon, Deirdre Breakenridge, cloudspark, Kerri Goldsmith, simon de bargas and others. simon de bargas said: RT @dbreakenridge: Questions About Social Media Monitoring & Measurement Platforms http://goo.gl/fb/LT0yk [...]

5. Hi Deirdre,

really enjoyed your video. I’ve been spending the past couple of weeks talking to heaps of vendors, too, and I’m realizing that quite a few work on a – to me rather peculiar – pricing model, where you pay by the number of results from your searches. My first reaction was “oh, so I better don’t increase my brand’s mentions, or else our costs are going to go up” ;)

I think it’s critical what you say about customization, and finding the tool that’s right for you. I’m finding that the more I hear about tech firms mentioning influencers, and then showing it to me in practice, the more I realize that there is a lot of merit in being able to customize how the crawler picks influencers. I.e. the number of twitter followers may not be as interesting for my brand, as mentions posted on review sites, for example. Also, with the inherently low accuracy of automated sentiment, it may be very interesting if the tool learns over time from the input you as a user give regarding the preselected sentiment.

For anyone currently looking into social media measurement, I’d like to suggest looking into Attentio, Brandwatch, Visible, and Webtrends (Social Measurement) in addition to the ones you’ve named, Deirdre. I don’t work for any of them, in fact, I haven’t worked with any of them either, but the demos were very promising :)

@StephanHerwig
    OgilvyOne / Zurich Financial Services

6. Deirdre says:

Hi Stephan! Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on the different platforms. I thought the same thing about the brand mentions going and how that made the price increase :) What I have learned just recently is that you can archive the search data (once you reach your quota of mentions) and clear it out to make room for new data. This way you can maintain your set price and still have access to the archived data file. However, I like the price model that focuses on the number of search terms, which is pretty clear cut; you know what you are paying per month and your mentions can grow without having to maintain a quota or archive data.

I’m going to check the platforms that you mentioned. The only one that I’m familiar with is WebTrends, which we used years ago, before they had any social measurement platform.

Thanks again for sharing!

7. Hi Deirdre, the Dutch market for brand monitors is changing rapidly and rather confusing for many of my clients (Dutch Top 500 enterprises). Some foreign tools have recently penetrated our market,such as Radian6 and Meltwater. Their biggest challenge is to adjust their text analyses software to the Dutch language in order to increase their data reliability, especially for sentiment analyses. But I expect the foreign tools to become serious competitors for tools that already are available here, such as Buzzcapture, Attentio, Finchline, Alterian & Oxyme. My Dutch Top 500 companies always ask me to recommend tools for them as part of the social media strategies that I develop and implement. My experience is the necessity to invest in client perception management. Because the expectations are often sky high and not always realistic (because of lack of knowledge). Especially among clients who never used tools before. Therefore KREM The Social Company developed a simple benchmark method/matrix for our monitor selection & implementation projects to give our clients a better understanding about brand monitoring tools. But most important for consultants is to keep their independence from monitor vendors in order to provide an advice that is as objective as possible. This is sometimes a challenge (research and interviews) because one has to pass possible superficial marketing stories of our vendors.

Marcel van Kanten
    Senior social media consultant
    KREM The Social Company
    The Netherlands

8. Deirdre says:

Hi Marcel! Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts. The monitoring is so important and yes, expectations are sky high. KREM The Social Media Company’s simple benchmark method/matrix sounds like a very helpful resource. It’s great to be able to know the right questions to ask and match a brand’s monitoring needs to the right platform. It will be interesting to see how foreign companies compete in your market and if they can increase their data reliability. Sentiment is tough, in general, as we find too, that many phrases and slang words are picked up as negative when they are, in fact, positive. In any case, it’s great to have so many options for monitoring even though the demo and/or trial of a platform takes time and careful consideration.

Hope you are having a great weekend :)

9. Jason Rosoff says:

Hi Deidre,
    Thanks for another great video post. I agree Monitoring/Measurement Platforms are essential to any Social Media Campaign. My issue is that I haven’t used many of these programs or know how to pitch them to clients. What is a good way to become more familiar with the multitude of Platforms and their specific tools? Thanks again!

Jason Rosoff
    @jasonjhr

10. Deirdre says:

Hi Jason! I did a post a while ago that provided info on several of the paid monitoring services and what they tracked. There’s also a post called “Everybody Loves Free Tools,” which might also help you. The platforms that I’ve written about include Dow Jones Insight, Radian6, BuzzLogic, and Sysomos. However, you can also check out Vocus, Alterian’s Techrigy, ScoutLabs, BurrellesLuce Engage121 and Sentiment Metrics. The best way to learn about these platforms is to contact the company and ask for a demo. There are some platforms that allow you to set up a free trial, which is also really helpful. It’s important to let clients know that they need to track social communication as it well help them to gauge daily conversations related to the brand’s keywords, mentions about the brand, the way people share content, brand and content sentiment and how bloggers and media are covering the campaign, to name a few areas of interest.

Hope this information is helpful :)

11. Frank Strong says:

Thanks for mentioning Vocus in your comments Deirdre. You make some great points in your video about selecting a tool — digging in is a great point. We often make little posts on Amplify based on some searches we’ve done — it’s a great way to develop useful information for posts while also demonstrating the product. Several posts here: http://vocus.amplify.com/

12. 40deuce says:

Great advice in here Deirdre.
    It’s true that all the software available can seem somewhat similar, but each has it’s plus and negative points.
    The best advice I can give you is to go in knowing what it is you’re going to want to measure in comparison to your objectives before even starting to look at the tools to do so. If you know exactly what you need the software to do before you start looking it becomes much easier for you to decide which software will be right for you and your needs.

Cheers,
    Sheldon, community manager for Sysomos

13. Deirdre says:

Hi Sheldon! Thanks for commenting and that’s excellent advice :)

14. Deirdre says:

Hi Frank :) My pleasure and I look forward to digging in some more with your platform. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and also the posts on Amplify.

15. Deirdre says:

Hi Colleen! Thank you and it’s been such a pleasure working with you :)

16. Diane Thieke says:

Hi Deirdre,
    Great video with great advice – and thanks for the mention of Dow Jones Insight! I absolutely agree that knowing your objectives is critical. I also think content and support are important considerations. Many of our clients are global companies, for whom the ability to track conversation across multiple countries, regions and languages is essential. Also, good support from someone knowledgeable about measurement best practices is critical for aligning your measurement program to your communications objectives.
    Diane Thieke
    Marketing Director
    Dow Jones
    @dowjonesinsight

17. Deirdre says:

Hey Diane! My pleasure and thanks for sharing your insight about monitoring and measurement. I love that you mentioned how measurement program must be aligned to an organizations communication objectives. Have a great week.

18. Lars Voedisch says:

Hi Deirde,

Great summary. I’m hosting a 2-day workshop on “Measurement in the Digital Age” – and the topic you covered is an important one. Unfortunately too many PR folks want the ‘easy way’ and would just go with the most popular or least expensive etc solution without doing real due diligence and answering the ‘objective’ question for themselves!

Cheers,

Lars

PS: I’m a colleague of Diane:)

19. Deirdre says:

Hi Lars! It’s great to meet you. Thanks for commenting and sharing your thoughts. I think it’s a disservice to the brand to take that “easy way out” approach. Your 2-day workshop sounds interesting and I’m sure you’ll be covering a lot of great information. Hopefully, we’ll see more professionals doing their due diligence and answering the “objective” question in 2011.