What are Your Golden Rules of PR?
Last week, a friend from CPRS Vancouver (@CPRSVancouver) reached out to me and asked if I would share a Golden Rule of PR, as a part of their Twitter contest.
It took me all of a few seconds to share my thoughts. I remember one of my mentors saying to me early on, “If you listen in PR you will do well.” That was 25 years ago and the same still holds true. Whether you’re physically meeting with your customers or you are “listening” or monitoring conversations online, listening will help you to solve challenges, build relationships and grow as a professional.
This was the tweet I shared for the contest …
@CPRSVancouver My golden rule … Always listen carefully to solve challenges, build great relationships & to learn and grow in PR. #DoPR
There are other Golden Rules of PR that I have practiced over the years. I didn’t share them as a part of the contest, but they will be with me for the next 25 years … knock on wood 🙂 These rules include:
- Don’t just say the right thing, but do the right thing. Actions speak louder than words.
- At the end of the day, the only thing you have left is your integrity and this should not be compromised.
- A handful of great relationships is better than a list of okay connections.
- Think about the business of communications and how what you do directly impacts the organization.
- Give back to the industry that has educated you by mentoring young professionals.
- Practice PR as if it also stands for Proactive Relations.
Of course, the list can go on and on. Pleases share your Golden Rules of PR, so we can all learn and grow together.