Join us on Thursday, September 20th at 12:00 p.m. ET for an in-depth discussion on the mysteries of media pitching. Yes. You heard us: Media pitching.
Content may be king, but if the PESO model has taught us anything, it’s that we need to integrate a number of distribution tactics into the communications mix in order to be consistently successful.
Google “media pitching” and you’ll get a slew of results referencing dos and don’ts, tips, tricks, and best practices. So, for the September #PRStudChat, we brought in the media pitching expert: Michael Smart (@michaelsmartpr).
A former newspaper journalist, Michael has won national and regional awards for news release and feature writing. He has also taught public relations courses at Brigham Young University, where he earlier earned bachelors and master’s degrees in communications with an emphasis in public relations.
Michael Smart dispenses PR wisdom every Thursday to more than 9,000 active subscribers to his popular email newsletter, and on September 20th he’ll be here to help the #PRStudChat community!
During the Twitter chat, Michael will be addressing the following questions, but we encourage all community members to weigh in with their ideas and share their perspectives too.
- In a world where blogs are often more widely read than traditional media, and communication includes texting, emoji, DMing, and live video chat, how important is media pitching? #PRStudChat
- What are the characteristics of a good media pitch? #PRStudChat
- What are the top reasons media pitches get ignored, and what’s the best way to ensure your pitch gets opened? #PRStudChat
- What are the easiest pitching mistakes to fix? #PRStudChat
- How much time should you invest in preparing each media pitch? #PRStudChat
- How much of media pitching is about your relationship with journalists? #PRStudChat
- What’s the best way to determine what media outlet or format is appropriate for a pitch? #PRStudChat
- Is email the best way to pitch media? How do we know the preferred method of contact for each media outlet and/or journalist? #PRStudChat
- What’s a good media pitch response rate? What should we strive for? #PRStudChat
- The pitch was accepted! What do we do if the journalist asks for exclusivity?? #PRStudChat
As always, we welcome your questions before or during the chat. You can tweet @PRStudChat, @SpinSucks, @LKPetrolino, @ValerieSimon or @DBreakenridge with any questions you would like answered.
We’re looking forward to another lively #PRStudChat conversation. See you on September 20th at 12:00 p.m. ET!