April 15, 2009 was the launch party for the Perspectives Book Series at Barnes & Noble in Clifton, New Jersey. Course Technology PTR, part of Cengage Learning, and series creator and editor, Jason Miletsky, who is my business partner at PFS Marketwyse, published Perspectives, which is an innovative new book series that covers topics such as marketing, branding, managing employees, and increasing sales.
A total of four books currently comprise the series with each book written by two or more authors from opposing perspectives, such as agency/client, seller/prospect and employer/employee. The authors engage in a stimulating dialogue on a variety of business topics in question/answer format. In order to provide readers with the most candid and unfiltered information possible, the authors were not permitted to collaborate during the writing process. The result is both thought provoking and enlightening.
The launch was a complete success. By the end of the night, about 150 people visited with four of the six authors in the series, Jason Miletsky, Marvin Miletsky, Michael Hand and Michael A. Fina. Unlike many the other book launch parties in my career, this one was truly a PR 2.0 event. Here’s what made it different from our parties in the past:
- The PR team was shooting video clips for the Social Media Release (SMR) from the time we left the office, in the car heading to the event, when we were in front of Barnes & Noble and then during the course of the night.
- Our photographer was onsite taking mobile pictures and uploading them to Facebook. She tagged them all immediately and shared them with our networks.
- Most of the guests or Perspectives’ “fans” admitted that they learned of the event on our Facebook fan page that was set up a couple of weeks prior to the launch party.
- The SMR received 150 views before we even got to the party.
Of course, we know the PR 2.0 doesn’t stop here. Now, the authors will be blogging about the event and other speaker appearances moving forward and the SMR will be updated with more pictures and videos to further engage readers. The PR team will also be announcing new updates on Facebook and continually sharing information and interviews with readers regarding important points of interest in the books.
If you’ve recently participated in a launch event, how did you make your party PR 2.0?
The Perspectives Series:
- Perspectives on Marketing
- Perspectives on Branding
- Perspectives on Managing Employees
- Perspectives on Increasing Sales