#PRStudChat April 14th Discussion
We’re getting close to our April 14th #PRStudChat discussion. Because it’s almost graduation, our focus for the chat will be JOBS! Yes, it’s that time when our graduating seniors are preparing to make the big transition into the communications work world. It’s exciting and challenging at the same time. To help our seniors, Valerie (@valeriesimon) and I decided to plan a chat session with several special guests who are experts in PR recruiting. And, we ask all of our educators and pros to join in to give their advice too.
We very pleased to announce a seasoned panel of experts who either specialize in PR recruiting or are very familiar with the hiring process. These April 14th chat session guests include:
- Jessica Porterfield, Recruiter, Fleishman Hilliard. Jessica has eight years of experience in the Biotech/Pharma industry and now recruiting in PR.
- Jessica Bayer, Public Relations recruiter at Qorvis Communications. Jessica specializes in Public Affairs, Government, Crisis, Interactive, Creative, Consumer and International relations.
- Laurie Bartolo, Recruiter at Ogilvy. Laurie’s career spans almost 20 years and covers a wide geography, from Florida to Washington DC to New Mexico and now Michigan.
- Lindsay Olson, PR Industry recruiter. Lindsay Olson is a recruiter, founder and partner with Paradigm Staffing and spends her days helping companies build public relations and communications teams nationwide.
- Rachel Kay , President RKPR. Rachel Kay is founder of RKPR. She is an award-winning public relations expert with experience spanning a multitude of industries including consumer technology, food, beauty and fashion, the Web and more. And, oh yes… RKPR is hiring!
A few of the questions to spark the discussion, during our April 14th session, will be:
1. What is the most frequent error/turn off candidate’s make when applying?
2. Do you have examples of creative job searching tactics that have been successful?
3. How important is your LinkedIn profile? Do recommendations matter?
4. What should you wear and bring to your next interview
5. How does internship exp “count”? Can a new grad apply to a position for 1-3 yrs exp?
Valerie and I also very excited to remind everyone that our Valentine’s Day Tweetheart, @Bitty_Boop, is moderating the discussion. For those of you who don’t know Brittany, she is a senior at Quinnipiac University in Hamden, CT. Brittany is graduating May 2010, with a degree in Public Relations and minor in Marketing. She is currently the public relations intern at Cashman + Katz Integrated Communications and an active member in Quinnipiac’s PRSSA chapter. Upon graduation, Brittany hopes to begin her career in New York City.
Thinking ahead, we’d like to give you a glimpse of what’s beyond our April session. May is a time for graduation celebration, so once again, we going to celebrate the graduating senior class of 2010, with a special evening #PRStudchat session on May 12th beginning at 8:30 p.m. It will be a night of honoring our graduates, fine memories, and wishing them luck as they venture into their PR careers.
So get ready for dynamic discussions, really great insight (because our community is among the brightest) and enjoy what’s ahead at #PRStudChat!
Thanks and we look forward to chatting with you.