The #PRStudChat Community Discusses PR, Twitter & Politics on Tuesday, October 11th
With the 2016 Presidential Election Campaign being coined “The Twitter Election” there is no question that Twitter is topical. There is a lot to learn (and will be learned) from this mainstream news channel.
On Tuesday, October 11, 2016, at 8:30 p.m. ET, the #PRStudChat Community will gather to discuss PR, Twitter and Politics from local cities to the state houses to the national government, all while reaching and communicating to a global audience focused on this year’s election.
Joining us as our special guest and leading the discussion will be John Gray, Co-Founder of Mentionmapp. Together, we’ll be diving into Twitter and whether social media is altering or impacting the messages we receive. At the same time, we’ll discuss how, as communication professionals, we approach news today, which has changed from neatly packaged/key sound bites that fit newspaper coverage, radio and TV to the 24/7 nature of social media, always on with no breaks.
A few of the #PRStudChat topics and questions we’ll discuss on the 11th will include:
- How do we decide to act/respond/engage?
- How important is it to verify the “source” of commentary (good or bad)?
- How do we decide who is influential or not? Is it about influence or impact?
- With influence top of mind, where is the conversation about reputation & credibility?
- How many different ways can Twitter work as a political “platform”?
- Is Twitter just an echo chamber or can it persuade, tilt perspective, or change minds?
- Do we care more about the optics of audience size or audience engagement & effectiveness?
- How do we leverage more than tweet storms & 140 characters/text on Twitter?
- What’s the role of video and live feeds/broadcast?
- What is the impact of the ethics behind the use of bots & bot proxy networks to spread messages?
We hope you’ll join us on October 11th for a dynamic discussion on PR, Twitter, and Politics. As always, we welcome your questions before or during the chat session. You can tweet @PRStudChat, @ValerieSimon, @Grayspective or @dbreakenridge with your questions. Be sure to also visit our LinkedIn Group to share your ideas.
Hope to “see” you on the 11th!
A Little More About John Gray, Co-Founder, Mentionmapp
John’s life tested, and always curious. BC born and raised, Vancouver’s been home for the last 35 years. He’s been a freelance writer and was the former West Coast editor @BetaKit. John cares about putting humanity first, and our stories about technology second. He has a Bachelor of Applied Science (Communications) and a B.A. (English) both from Simon Fraser University.
A Little More About PRStudChat:
It began with a simple question asked by Angela Hernandez, then President of PRSSA at Central Michigan University (CMU). “Is PR Right for me?” A follow up blog post by PR 2.0 expert Deirdre Breakenridge inspired a series of direct messages on Twitter between Breakenridge and fellow PR industry pro, Valerie Simon. This was an important question and one that should be explored beyond one student or one blog post. Why not build a community to help students across the country, and even the globe, learn from the experience and perspective of industry professionals… A community where everyone can learn and grow together. Read more